What are Urologists and Female Urologists?

Urologists are surgical specialists who specialize in the treatment of diseases and disorders of the
urogenital organs: adrenal glands, kidneys, ureters, bladder, urethra and male and female genitalia.

Some urologists subspecialize further into specific aspects of urology: cancer, stones, pediatrics, erectile
dysfunction/infertility, or female urology/voiding dysfunction. All board certified urologists have
completed an accredited urology residency training program and have passed written and oral board
exams administered by the American Board of Urology.

The term “female urologist” is a confusing one. It has traditionally meant an urologist who specializes
in the care of female urologic disorders. However, the term suggests that the urologist is a woman.
Thankfully, a new term exists for the specialty of female urogenital care, female pelvic medicine and
reconstructive surgery (known by the abbreviation FPM/RS).

What are Urogynecologists?

Urogynecologists are gynecologists who specialize in female urogenital care. They have completed
residency training in obstetrics and gynecology and perhaps additional training (fellowship) in this

What is Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery

This is the officially recognized name for surgeons who specialize in the management of women
with pelvic floor disorders, including urinary incontinence and lower urinary tract disorders, pelvic
organ prolapse and childbirth related injuries. Comprehensive management includes the preventive,
diagnostic and therapeutic procedures necessary for the total care of the female patient with these
conditions and complications resulting from them.

The American Board of Medical Specialties gave its unanimous approval to recognize female pelvic
medicine and reconstructive surgery as a subspecialty in March, 2011. In the future, surgeons
completing additional training (fellowships) in this specialty will take an examination to obtain
certification in the specialty. Surgeons who trained in the specialty under different names (female

urology or urogynecology) before it was given its official recognition and whose current practice is
primarily within the scope of this specialty will also be eligible to take the certification examination.
Certification is not yet available.

How do I Find a Doctor in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive
Surgery (FPM/RS)?

If you are bothered by symptoms of one or more pelvic floor disorders, discussing your symptoms with
your primary care provider (MD, PA, or NP) may be a good first step. In some cases your primary care
provider will evaluate your symptoms with a pelvic examination and a urinalysis. He or she may even
counsel you and suggest some treatment options. In other cases your primary care provider will refer
you to a specialist. Your primary care provider may or may not be aware that there are specialists in
FPM/RS, but you may request to see one.

My fellowship in female urology was at New York University. The year was 2001, the same year as 9/11.

Also that year was the off Broadway play, Urine Town, as this poster advertised, The perfect photo op for an urologist!

Copyright © 2014 Harriette Scarpero and PrattWebSolutions